These Chocolate Chip Wheat Mini Muffins are one of my family’s favorite healthy treats!
Since I prefer for my kids to eat whole grains, I like changing up regular recipes (like this one from Taste of Home) to include wheat flour and flax seed to add fiber.
These little muffins have the right touch of sweetness and a little chocolate that make for a great dessert in school lunchboxes. We really like the wheat-y flavor of these and our Whole Wheat Pancakes recipe.
Over the summer, I like to have all the kids do more cooking and baking than we can squeeze in during the school year. Snacks like these Chocolate Chip Wheat Mini Muffins are a frugal and easy way to fill everyone up.
This recipe is a great beginner recipe for kids learning to cook or bake. Start your kids off with measuring the ingredients and mixing, and as they get older, they can graduate to using the oven.
Thanks for using my Amazon link at no additional cost to you!
I bought mini muffin pans many years ago, and they’ve held up so well with all my baking. I just spray them with cooking spray instead of using paper liners. The kids and I love using a cookie scoop to fill muffin cups (it’s also great for pancakes and of course, cookies!).
These muffins will pop right out so they can cool on stackable baking racks, which I love because they don’t take up much storage space in my tiny kitchen.
For more healthy treats, be sure to check out these recipes on MoneywiseMoms:
Chocolate Chip Wheat Mini Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill mini muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
My favorite baking supplies make it easy: