Shopping for back to school season? If your state has a Sales Tax Holiday, you can save by not paying the tax!
Back to school costs can really add up! Many families take this time to shop for fall clothing as well as requested school supplies.
Some states help by offering a weekend or full week where certain items are exempt from sales tax. Depending on where you live, you can save up to 8% on clothing (for everyone, not just the kids), footwear, backpacks, school supplies and even computers!
If you do not have children attending school or you have toddlers/preschoolers, this is a great time to stock up on office supplies or art supplies at back-to-school sale prices with no sales tax.
Over the years, I have also found that there’s much better selection on these supplies in July and August compared to the rest of the year.
Take a look below for your state. Hopefully you can save some money doing your back to school shopping this year!
Find Your Sales Tax Holiday
- Alabama – clothing, computers and school supplies
- Wisconsin – clothing, computers and school supplies
- Arkansas (Saturday and Sunday only) – clothing, footwear and school supplies
- Iowa (Saturday and Sunday only) – clothing and footwear
- Missouri – clothing, computers and school supplies
- New Mexico – clothing, computers and school supplies
- Ohio – clothing, footwear and school supplies
- Oklahoma – clothing
- South Carolina – clothing, computers and school supplies
- Virginia – clothing, footwear and school supplies
- Texas – clothing, backpacks and school supplies
- Maryland – backpacks, clothing and footwear
- Connecticut – clothing and footwear
Take advantage of your state’s sales tax holiday on top of store sales and any coupons you may have. That’s shopping smart!
More about Back to School: