There are a few meals I love to cook for a silly reason–they're so pretty! I love how fresh, healthy ingredients come together with all their colors. Our favorite Tortilla Soup is one of those–all that red, white, and green–and this is another. These Vegetarian Fajitas are an easy way to get lots of healthy veggies into my family, and they're very easy to prepare. With our busy swim practice nights now, I chop all the veggies in the morning, then I only need to spend a little time at the stove once we get home. The kids get the rest on the table, and we're good to go. Using hearty Portabello Mushrooms instead of meat makes this a vegetarian meal.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms or Large Portabellos
- Vidalia or Yellow Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Black Beans
- Brown Rice or Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Slice all the veggies and saute them on the stove until tender, adding spices to taste.
- Prepare rice or heat tortillas as necessary.
- Serve with salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
There are no measurements to the vegetables because you can really just use what you have and scale the recipe to feed as many people as you need. To keep this meal gluten-free, serve over rice or use corn tortillas. Traditionally, faijtas are wrapped in flour tortillas.