My family loves this Green Chile Chicken Casserole, and I love how easy it is to make!
This Green Chile Chicken Casserole recipe is one of my family's favorites because the flavor is comforting and homey, and it's super-easy to put together as long as I have pre-cooked chicken and rice in the fridge.
Where do you get those? Next time you're making chicken, cook a little extra, cube it, and put it in the fridge or freezer for another day.
Whenever I take the time to make brown rice, I double the recipe and put the rest in the fridge or freezer–same deal–and it's ready for a quick meal like this one.
Cooking double of anything is one of my strategies for meal planning and helps me get dinner on the table on busy weeknights.
If you love making casseroles, take a look at my Captivating Casseroles board on Pinterest. I only Pin easy recipes!
Green Chile Chicken Casserole
This casserole is perfect for freezing for later. Just complete through step 3, when you sprinkle the cheese on top. Let cool, then tightly cover the top with foil and freeze.
On cooking day, let defrost. Then bake 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees and check that the casserole is heated through.
Print the recipe
- 1-1.5 cups cubed, cooked chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 small cans diced green chiles (or half a jar of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the cheese).
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the rice mixture evenly in the baking pan, then sprinkle with the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 33g