Need an easy and healthy dinner that comes together quickly? This Sausage Lentil Soup is just the thing! Making this quick and easy soup recipe is great for weeknight dinners. We also make this recipe for meal prep, it heats up well throughout the week for lunches and dinners.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Quick & Easy Sausage Lentil Soup
Why head out to a restaurant when you can make your favorites at home with a copycat recipe? I changed up this Carraba's recipe to make it work for my family, and now it's a fave!
I love that after you brown the sausage, it's just a matter of throwing everything into the soup pot and letting it simmer.
If you're eating gluten-free, just check that the sausage and broth are safe (there are many varieties that are).
What do I need to make this tasty recipe?
- 12oz package Chicken Sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth (plus 2 cups water)
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dry lentils
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
How to make an easy sausage lentil soup:
This recipe could not be more simple. It's quick and easy just like the title implies. You can make a double batch of this delicious soup and have some on hand for leftovers, lunches, and easy meals for the kids after school!
- Brown sausage. Drain off fat and dice into bite-size pieces.
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Add more water if thinner consistency desired. You can use an immersible blender to puree the soup and give it a thicker, stew-like consistency. Your choice!
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Can I make this sausage soup in the Crockpot?
Rather than cook on the stovetop, put all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until all the vegetables are tender. That makes it a delicious crockpot sausage lentil soup!
This Sausage Lentil Soup can also be made vegetarian by skipping the sausage and using vegetable broth. This is such an easy, adaptable recipe!
Printable Sausage & Lentil Soup Recipe:
Looking for more awesome soup recipes?
Sometimes soup is just the only thing that will do! If that is the case, these soup recipes will make themselves right at home in your meal plan. We love making soup when it is cold out, now that the weather is cooling down you can use these great recipes to help warm you up and keep you going!