Is spring one of your favorite seasons for family fun? Get some new ideas for you and the kids to do together. All of these spring family fun activities are either free or very low-cost.
Happy Spring! With the weather so up and down during these months–sometimes gorgeous and sunny, sometimes cool and rainy–it can be hard to plan ahead for family activities.
Here’s a big list of Frugal and Free Spring Family Fun to keep on hand so you’re always ready!
- Find a new park. We like to ask around for recommendations from friends and neighbors, and we’ve found some great ones!
- Have a Game Night (or afternoon) with some new board games.
- Take a walk around the neighborhood.
- Head out to your local zoo. If you’re in the DC area, the National Zoo is free!
- Volunteer together as a family. Right now, a lot of local parks and creeks have Clean-Up Days.
- Have a movie marathon. Pick a theme and go for it!
- Visit a local farm to see the cute baby animals. Even my tweens and teens love that!
- Go camping and enjoy a campfire.
- Support a local school by attending a spring musical or play.
- Go hiking at a National Park.
- Have a Read-In Day. My kids love to stay in pajamas, make a blanket fort and read, read, read!
- Learn something new, like how to draw zentangles.
- Head outside to fly kites.
- Visit a Pick-Your-Own farm for spring vegetables.
- Bake together! We like to each get our own bowl and make muffins.
- Plant a garden.
- Do a craft together. My girls and I have been saving egg cartons to make this Spring Wreath.
- Update a space in your home. My tweens just redecorated their room so it’s less “little kid.”
- Print and color free rainbow coloring pages.
- Do an outdoor scavenger hunt.
- Read a new book out loud.
- Look for birds and put up a birdfeeder.
- Attend a baseball game.
- Decorate in front of friends’ houses with sidewalk chalk.
- Learn to code. We love Scratch!
- Find a free music concert in your area.
- Make Origami Frogs and then race them
- Be a tourist in your own hometown.
- Visit a history or art museum. Plenty of museums offer free admission.
- Try a new-to-you popcorn recipe.
Need more spring activity ideas?
Print out this Spring Activity Bingo for free, and get the kids active. They can do 5 in a row for bingo, or complete the whole card!
More family fun ideas
- Save money with a family museum membership
- Get free admission to National Parks
- How to buy group discount tickets to theme parks
- 10 completely free winter activities for kids