These Chocolate Chip Wheat Mini Muffins are one of my family's favorite healthy treats!
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Why should I try these muffins?
Since I prefer for my kids to eat whole grains, I like changing up regular recipes (like this one from Taste of Home) to include wheat flour and flax seed to add fiber.
These little muffins have the right touch of sweetness and a little chocolate that makes for a great dessert in school lunchboxes. We really like the wheat-y flavor of these and our Whole Wheat Pancakes recipe.
Are these mini chocolate chip muffins budget friendly?
Over the summer, I like to have all the kids do more cooking and baking than we can squeeze in during the school year. Snacks like these Chocolate Chip Wheat Mini Muffins are a frugal and easy way to fill everyone up.
Can kids make these muffins?
This recipe is a great beginner recipe for kids learning to cook or bake. Start your kids off with measuring the ingredients and mixing, and as they get older, they can graduate to using the oven. It's a great recipe that is pretty forgiving and easy to make. If there's a small error they will still likely come out tasting okay!
Chocolate Chip Wheat Mini Muffins
How should I bake these chocolate chip wheat mini muffins?
I bought mini muffin pans many years ago, and they've held up so well with all my baking. I just spray them with cooking spray instead of using paper liners. The kids and I love using a cookie scoop to fill muffin cups (it's also great for pancakes and of course, cookies!).
Do these muffins cool in the pans or should we remove them?
These muffins will pop right out so they can cool on stackable baking racks, which I love because they don't take up much storage space in my tiny kitchen.
Can I freeze these muffins for later use?
Absolutely! That's an awesome idea. We do that a lot during the cooler months so that I don't have to do much baking when it's super hot during the summer. It's also a nice way to stockpile some easy treats for when those hectic days roll around and there doesn't seem to be as much time for baking up healthy snacks and breakfast options.
Print the recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill mini muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Rubbermaid Spoon-Shaped Spatula, 9 1/2 in, White
- Gorilla Grip Original Mixing Bowls Set of 2, Slip Resistant Bottom, Includes 5 Qt and 3 Quart Nested Bowl, Gray
- Cookie Scoops for Baking Include Large-Medium-Small Size, Stainless Steel
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Mini Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 24-Cup
- Gorilla Grip Premium Silicone Non Slip Oven Mitt Set of 2
- Wilton Perfect Results Cooling Rack, 3 Tier, Non-Stick