As the mom of a child with a food allergy, we’ve had our share of disappointments like the classroom party where my son is the only one who can’t have the treat.
If you have friends or family with a severe allergy, it can be hard to know how to celebrate with them. This Dairy-Free Egg-Free Cake and Cupcakes Recipe is a great one to keep on hand for special events.
It makes the allergic child feel so special to be included in the festivities, and there’s no harm in the other kids eating non-dairy, non-egg cake or cupcakes.
It’s great for adults, too, if you are hosting a baby shower or need a few cupcakes set aside at a wedding or other event. Add this moist cupcake recipe to your repertoire!
This post includes affiliate links.
Be sure and use paper cupcake liners if you’re making cupcakes, since this batter is stickier than typical cake batter.
If you’re using cake pans, I suggest spraying them and coating with flour to avoid sticking.
The original recipe came from the cookbook Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Kid-Pleasing Recipes & Tips, which is no longer in print.
As for decorating, be very careful to use allergy-safe frosting or decorations. There are some prepared frostings that many dairy-free kids can eat, or you can search online for a homemade soy version.
Colored sugar is a safer bet than sprinkles, or you could sprinkle a little confectioner’s sugar on top.
If you’re a dairy-free egg-free mom, we’d love to hear other suggestions for decorations in the comments below!
Allergy Cupcakes Ingredients
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups water
2 Tbsp white vinegar
Allergy Cupcakes Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and flour or cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, vanilla and water. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well-blended.
- Add vinegar and stir quickly to thoroughly incorporate into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans or cupcake tins (makes 24). For cake–bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For cupcakes–bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool before removing from pans.
My favorite kitchen supplies make baking at home easy!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and flour or cupcake pans with liners.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the oil, vanilla and water. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until well-blended.
Add vinegar and stir quickly to thoroughly incorporate into batter.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans or cupcake tins (makes 24). For cake–bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For cupcakes–bake for 15-18 minutes.
Cool before removing from pans.
Looking for more fabulous recipes to try? Take a look at this week’s Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party below!
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.