You'll love this twist! This Ginger Chicken Soup has such fresh flavors and is a nice change from the traditional. It's one of our favorite family recipes.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
When I browse for new recipes, I look for my family's favorite ingredients because it makes it more likely that they'll try (and like) the new meal.
This chicken soup with ginger from Hands-Off Cooking had some of their favorites, like chicken and potatoes. But it also had a twist–shiitake mushrooms, which they'd never tried before–and lime juice.
This soup is absolutely delicious! I love how all the healthy ingredients blend into such a flavorful broth, and it was deemed a hit by all five of us. It's been in our meal plan rotation ever since.
Is this soup gluten free?
Yes! This recipe is naturally gluten-free, as long as your chicken broth is safe for you to enjoy. I use Better Than Bouillon, the reduced sodium version.
Is this an easy soup recipe?
It sure is! The prep time is quick, just chopping up the vegetables and ginger, and dicing the chicken. Then, you dump it all in one pot and let it go. Easy peasy!
Ginger Chicken Soup
We had this on a rainy day, and it really hit the spot. It's very different from my standard chicken soup, but it's just as soothing.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- red potatoes
- baby carrots
- fresh shiitake mushrooms
- fresh ginger
- salt and pepper
How to make this tasty soup:
- Pour the broth into a large pot. Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, lime zest and juice, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Set the pot over medium-low heat with the lid slightly ajar and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
Doing Weight Watchers?
I’ve been on WW Freestyle since March of 2017, so of course I’ve added this frequently-made meal to my app! According to the app, each serving of this Ginger Chicken Soup is 3 Freestyle points.
Printable Ginger Chicken Soup recipe
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Pour the broth into a large pot. Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, lime zest and juice, ginger, salt and pepper.
Set the pot over medium-low heat with the lid slightly ajar and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 1729mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g