Our homemade poppy seed dressing recipe is so simple and takes just 5 minutes to make. You’ll love the flavor of poppy seed dressing from scratch!
Making your own homemade dressings saves money and gives you control over the ingredients. In addition to this recipe for poppy seed dressing, we love our homemade balsamic vinaigrette and honey mustard vinaigrette.
Like those, poppy seed dressing is vinegar-based, though this time it’s an apple cider vinegar salad dressing. This homemade poppy seed dressing is also dairy-free.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Get ready to treat your taste buds to a creamy and nutty delight with homemade poppy seed dressing! This dressing is all about that perfect balance, mixing ingredients like mayo, honey, vinegar, and, of course, those tiny poppy seeds to give your salads a unique and exciting flavor.
Poppy seed dressing ingredients
There are only 5 ingredients in this simple recipe, and it only takes 5 minutes to make!
We’ve made our own salad dressings for years because of the kids’ allergies, but we quickly found that we prefer the taste so much more! Plus there’s no preservatives or unwanted ingredients.
What are poppy seeds?
The seeds come from the opium poppy plant. You might have seen them in baked goods or used as a fancy garnish, but there’s more to them than meets the eye.
Poppy seeds have a cool nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch that adds some oomph to dishes, especially when it comes to making that lip-smacking poppy seed dressing we all love.
How to store homemade poppy seed dressing
Generally, homemade poppy seed salad dressing can last for about 2 weeks when stored properly in the refrigerator. Make sure to use an air-tight container.
Store this delicious homemade dressing in any type of container, from plastic to glass. If you have kids and want to control how much they pour, I like these pour toppers that go on top of mason jars.
How to use poppy seed dressing
Poppy seed dressing pairs well with a variety of salads, adding a burst of flavor and texture. Some salads that commonly feature poppy seed dressing include:
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad: The combination of fresh spinach leaves, juicy strawberries, sliced almonds, and crumbled feta cheese, drizzled with poppy seed dressing, creates a delightful balance of sweet, tangy, and nutty flavors.
- Citrus Salad: A refreshing blend of mixed greens, segmented oranges or grapefruits, avocado slices, red onions, and poppy seed dressing, this salad offers a vibrant and zesty experience with a pleasant crunch.
- Chicken or Turkey Salad: Combining grilled or roasted chicken or turkey, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and poppy seed dressing creates a satisfying salad with a delightful combination of flavors and textures.
- Broccoli Salad: A classic side dish featuring fresh broccoli florets, crispy bacon, chopped red onions, dried cranberries or raisins, and a creamy poppy seed dressing. It’s a perfect balance of sweet and savory elements.
- Apple Walnut Salad: Crisp apple slices, toasted walnuts, mixed greens, crumbled blue cheese, and poppy seed dressing come together in this salad, offering a harmonious blend of sweet, nutty, and tangy flavors.
These are just a few examples, but poppy seed dressing can be enjoyed on a wide variety of salads, allowing you to explore different combinations and create your own favorite combinations based on your preferences.
More made-from-scratch recipes
Making your own recipes at home not only saves you money, but they usually taste a lot better than store-bought!
Printable recipe for poppy seed dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar (or 2 Tablespoons honey)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, jar or salad dressing shaker, mix all ingredients with a wire whisk.
- Store in refrigerator.
Serving size is 2 Tablespoons.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g