You won’t believe how easy it is to make up a batch of this Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe. Then you’ll have it on hand for lots of easy family meals, especially on Taco Tuesday! Wait till you see how making your own spice mixes at home tastes better than store-bought.
Why should I try and make my own seasonings?
Making your own versions of processed foods isn’t just a way to save money, it also helps you control ingredients.
Whether you’re eating low sodium, gluten-free or just want to avoid the chemicals and preservatives found in the packets, take a few minutes to mix up a batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning, and you’ll have it on hand for your next taco night. It tastes a lot better, too!
How much does this recipe make?
This recipe makes almost 5 Tbsp of seasoning, which is enough for 2-3 batches of ground beef tacos (a packet is typically 2 Tbsp) or one batch in the slow cooker.
Is this homemade taco seasoning gluten free?
Yes! That’s another benefit to making your own seasonings. You can make sure that every ingredient you add meets your needs.
How do I store this taco seasoning?
I usually scale this up by doubling or tripling it so I don’t have to make it as often. I keep it in a sealed container in my pantry since we do Taco Tuesday every week.
Printable Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Mix all spices together. Store in an airtight container.
For standard ground beef/turkey tacos: After you brown the meat, drain the fat, and replace the seasoning packet with 2+ Tbsp of this homemade taco seasoning (depending on how strong you like the flavor) and 1/3 cup of water. Stir and simmer until thickened.
For slow cooker tacos (chicken or pork): Sprinkle 2-3 pounds of chicken breasts/thighs or pork roast with 4-5 Tbsp of homemade taco seasoning. You can also add a jar of salsa or a cup of chicken broth for extra moisture. Cook on low 6-10 hours, then shred.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 13Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 588mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
There are so many other ways–besides tacos–to use this homemade seasoning mix. I’m going to share 25 of my favorites with you from all different categories!
Appetizers and Snacks that use Homemade Taco Seasoning:
Let’s face it, the best way to start off any party, holiday, or event is with some delicious appetizers. If you want one that is tacolicious then you need to check out some of these great appetizers and snacks.
- Taco Snack Mix from Shugary Sweets
- Easy Taco Dip from Julie’s Eats and Treats
- Taco Pizza Rolls from The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Mexican Roasted Chickpeas from Hungry Food Love
- Cheesy Taco Popcorn from Three Different Directions
- Light & Creamy Taco Salad Dressing from Lady Behind the Curtain
Use homemade taco seasoning in these great casserole recipes:
Casseroles have a spot in my heart thanks to their budget friendly nature, their ease of use, and the ability to freeze them and use them when I’m in a pinch and need a fast dinner recipe. Here are some amazing casserole recipes that can benefit from some homemade taco seasoning.
- Taco Cornbread Casserole from MoneywiseMoms
- Southwestern Chicken Taco Casserole from Pint-sized Treasures
- Lawnmower Taco from Life as Mom
- Fiesta Pork Chop and Rice Bake from Six Sisters’ Stuff
- Taco Stuffed Peppers from Everyday Made Fresh
Put homemade taco spice in these soups and chilis!
During the cooler months we make a lot of soups and chilis. These delicious recipes all call for taco seasoning…in which you can substitute in my homemade variety!
- 8 Can Taco Soup from High Heels & Grills
- Crockpot Taco Chili from First Home Love Life
- Taco Stew from Oh Sweet Basil
- Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili from Table for Two
Tacos and more that benefit from homemade taco seasoning:
Of course you can use homemade taco seasoning in actual taco recipes as well! Here are some incredible (and unique) taco recipes to spice things up for your next taco Tuesday celebration!
- Traveling Tacos from MoneywiseMoms
- Mexican Meatloaf from Pepper Scraps
- Tex-Mex Taco Pasta from Catz in the Kitchen
- One Pan Enchilada Bake from Damn Delicious
- Chicken Fajitas in the Deep Covered Baker from MoneywiseMoms