These chocolate banana mini muffins pack a lot of flavor and fiber into kids' lunchboxes!
This post contains affiliate links.
I love to bake little lunchbox treats for the kids. But instead of just sugar, I include fruit and fiber.
The cocoa in these Chocolate Banana Mini Muffins hides the flaxseed and whole wheat flour.
This recipe is a great way to use up past-their-prime bananas that no one will eat.
Chocolate Banana Mini Muffins
The tricky part about making muffins is getting them fluffy. Be sure not to overmix the batter. Just make sure the dry ingredients incorporate with the wet, then stop.
I bought mini muffin pans many years ago, and they've held up so well with all my baking. I just spray them with cooking spray instead of using paper liners.
The kids and I love using a cookie scoop to fill muffin cups (it's also great for pancakes and of course, cookies!).
These muffins will pop right out so they can cool on stackable baking racks, which I love because they don't take up much storage space in my tiny kitchen.
Print the recipe
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Mix in sugar, egg and butter.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, flaxseed, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just moistened; do not overmix or muffins will be tough.
- Spoon batter into prepared mini muffin tins. Bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Rubbermaid Spoon-Shaped Spatula, 9 1/2 in, White
- Gorilla Grip Original Mixing Bowls Set of 2, Slip Resistant Bottom, Includes 5 Qt and 3 Quart Nested Bowl, Gray
- Bakuwe Multicolor Foil Cupcake Liners Standard Muffin Baking Cups, Pack of 300
- Gorilla Grip Premium Silicone Non Slip Oven Mitt Set of 2
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Mini Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 24-Cup
- Wilton Perfect Results Cooling Rack, 3 Tier, Non-Stick