This amazing Taco Chicken Casserole combines delicious Southwest chicken flavors with fresh veggies. It is also incredibly easy to make and prep in advance.
This recipe for Southwest chicken casserole serves 8. This is great news if you have a big family, but it's also really nice if you have a smaller family and love to use leftovers as lunches throughout the week or for dinners that just need a quick spin in the microwave on extra busy nights.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
What do I need to make Southwest chicken casserole?
We will be using some amazing fresh flavors to spice up relatively boring chicken breasts. Whether you have chicken on hand in the freezer or fresh, this recipe is a great way to transform it into something the whole family will devour.
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- canned black beans
- canned corn
- canned diced green chiles
- red bell pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Colby jack cheese
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
Feel free to adjust the level of spice by using more or less peppers and by adding jalapeños if you like! Some chili powder would also be good in this seasoning mixture if you like a little more kick in your recipes.
How to make taco chicken casserole:
This is a really easy casserole to put together. You'll have about 10 minutes of prep work and then after about 40 minutes in the oven you can expect to have dinner on the table and ready to go!
Mix the garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper and set aside.
Place the chicken in a sealable bag, sprinkle the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
In a small bowl combine the corn, black beans, green chiles, red bell pepper, and chopped cilantro and mix well.
Set to the side.
Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Place the chicken on the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove the chicken and then place it In a large casserole dish, lay the chicken breast flat in the baking dish.
Spread the corn mixture evenly over it.
Add cheese on top of the mixture.
Bake uncovered at 375˚F for 30-40 minutes.
Want to stock up on chicken breasts for your freezer? Grab the Perdue Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Value Bundle for just $49.99 when you use our link!
Can I make this taco chicken casserole ahead and freeze it?
I probably wouldn't freeze this one and I'll tell you why…it uses a lot of fresh veggies.
When we use fresh vegetable the texture and flavor is great when we're eating them fresh but after some time in the freezer they just won't be the same.
If you are okay with the vegetables potentially not having their traditional fresh veggie texture freezing this finished casserole and reheating later definitely won't impact the overall taste.
What to serve with this delicious chicken casserole:
When I make protein and vegetable heavy dishes I like to pair them with things like rice or noodles. I usually look to the Instant Pot to make a batch of rice to go with this casserole.
You could try this Mexican rice to go along with this tasty casserole.
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix the garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the chicken in a sealable bag, sprinkle the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the corn, black beans, green chiles, red bell pepper, and chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Set to the side.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken on the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and then place it In a large casserole dish, lay the chicken breast flat in the baking dish.
- Spread the corn mixture evenly over it.
- Add cheese on top of the mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 375˚F for 30-40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 30g