This delicious recipe is super simple. It's got chicken, peppers, and potatoes. This all-in-one casserole style dinner is great for those super busy weeknights.
If you have any food allergies in your home (like we do) you'll love that this whole food recipe is so simple to make. You can control all of the seasonings which means that there's no surprises about what shows up! Most of these whole food ingredients are really inexpensive to grab at the grocery store too which makes this a nice budget friendly meal.
I'm always trying to add more simple, easy, wholesome recipes to my recipe collection. Like gets hectic and there's nothing worse than having to be in the kitchen for an hour or more after a long day. This meal of chicken with peppers and potatoes is on the table and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
The great thing about the recipes that you'll find here at Moneywise Moms is that they're all pretty much easy to make, quick cooking, and family friendly. I remember the days of being in the kitchen with kids attached to my legs and while they're older now and less likely to be attached to me physically while I'm cooking, I'd still rather spend quality time with than versus living in the kitchen!
If your family is like ours this recipe will make it into your meal plan rotation in no time. I discovered this particular recipe years ago in a book that's unfortunately out of print, called Better Homes and Gardens Big Book of Healthy Family Dinners. Worth the buy for sure if you manage to find one from a used bookseller!
What do I need to make this chicken peppers and potatoes meal?
Apart from the main ingredients which are pretty obvious 😉 you'll need a few seasonings and some chicken stock. It's a pretty wholesome meal in terms of ingredients. You can find the full amounts in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post and use this list for grocery shopping!
- Skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Nonstick spray coating
- Diced potatoes (I leave the skins on, because I'm lazy)
- Roasted red sweet peppers, drained and diced
- Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Dried basil, crushed
- Dried oregano, crushed
- Black pepper
- Sliced pitted ripe olives
- Fresh oregano (optional)
Is this a frugal dinner recipe?
To keep this frugal, I buy my roasted red peppers at Trader Joe's (they're half the price than the grocery store), use potatoes when they're on sale, and chicken from my Cooking Ahead prep.
I do use a whole small can of olives, because my kids love them. It's also because I don't want a can of them hanging around half used. If you won't use them for other stuff just throw them all in, they're delicious!
I usually serve this with something green, like peas, and it's a very pretty meal that comes together quickly and easily. You could pair this one with any frozen, canned, or fresh steamed veggies. Whatever is on sale or whatever your family really enjoys will compliment the chicken peppers and potatoes easily.
How to make this easy chicken and peppers with potatoes casserole:
Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
Cut into 1-in pieces. Spray an unheated large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat over medium-high heat.
Add chicken. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until tender and no longer pink.
Remove from skillet. Set aside. Add uncooked potatoes, sweet peppers, chicken broth, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper to the skillet.
Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 7 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
Stir in the chicken and olives. Heat through. If desired, garnish with additional fresh oregano.
Makes 4 servings. You can easily double or even triple this recipe if you have a big family to feed or want plenty of leftovers for meal prep!
Looking for even more delicious recipes to try?
If you are on the hunt for even more delicious dinner recipes that the whole family will enjoy try out some of our other favorites. These recipes come together quickly, are easy to make, and even picky eaters will try them out!
- Easy Salmon Pasta Recipe
- Family Favorite Ground Turkey Goulash
- Easy Baked Pork Chops with Orange Maple Sauce
- Crockpot Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Ground Beef Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- The Easiest Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Printable Chicken Peppers and Potatoes Recipe:
- 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Nonstick spray coating
- 2 cups diced potatoes (I leave the skins on, because I'm lazy)
- 1 7-oz jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and diced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp sliced pitted ripe olives
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- Cut into 1-in pieces. Spray an unheated large skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until tender and no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet. Set aside. Add uncooked potatoes, sweet peppers, chicken broth, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper to the skillet.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 7 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Stir in the chicken and olives. Heat through. If desired, garnish with additional fresh oregano.
- Makes 4 servings. You can easily double or even triple this recipe if you have a big family to feed or want plenty of leftovers for meal prep!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Easy Grab 8-Inch Square Baking Dish
Cooks Standard Lid 7 Quart Hard Anodized Nonstick Dutch Oven Casserole Stockpot, Black
KitchenAid Nylon Spatula, Black
Rubbermaid Spoon-Shaped Spatula, 9 1/2 in, White
Nonstick 13-Inch Slotted Spatula
Utopia Kitchen Pre Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet (12.5 inch)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g