This delicious apple crisp recipe is gluten free, but you can also make it with regular flour if you like! It’s a great dessert and is perfect for parties and family gatherings.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This delicious dessert is both gluten and refined sugar free. If you’re not eating gluten free, just replace the 1/3 cup of almond flour with regular all-purpose flour.
This classic recipe is adapted with the addition of fresh thyme, which adds a savory note. It’s a unique way to spice up your gluten free apple crisp and make it extra tasty.
Which apples should I use for apple crisp?
Choose firm apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady (the kind I used), for this recipe. These varieties will hold up well to the heat of baking without turning to mush.
What do I need to make gluten free apple crisp?
- large apples
- fresh lemon juice
- real maple syrup
- apple juice (no sugar added)
- ground cinnamon
- ground allspice
- fresh thyme leaves
What ingredients will I need for the topping?
- almond flour (to make this gluten-free)
- GF old-fashioned rolled oats
- sliced almonds
- unsalted butter
Another gluten-free option is glutinous rice flour, which is great for replacing small amounts of regular flour in recipes like this.
If you don’t need to eat gluten-free, just replace the almond flour with white all-purpose flour.
Another delicious recipe is this almond flour peach cobbler. It’s really easy to make fruit desserts like this gluten-free if needed.
Does this recipe go well with ice cream?
Of course! Apple crisp and ice cream go hand in hand. You can use your favorite vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream to top warm GF apple crisp, it’s a tasty treat and perfect for fall!
How much does this recipe make?
This recipe will serve 4-6 people as is, you can easily double it to feed a crowd or to make sure you have some leftovers for later in the week. If you want to share this delicious apple crisp with someone, just make a double batch and just put it into two pans for the baking process.
Since the apple crisp needs to bake for 40-50 minutes you can make good use of that time by having two pans in there at the same time!
Printable Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe:
- 6 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons 100% apple juice (sugar free)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
- Place apples in a large non-reactive bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the apple crisp is nice and bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with some vanilla bean iced cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring Chef Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Set of 6
Farberware Color Measuring Cups, Mixed Colors, Set of 4
Gorilla Grip Original Mixing Bowls Set of 2, Slip Resistant Bottom
Pyrex Easy Grab 8-Inch Square Baking Dish
KitchenAid Nylon Spatula, Black
Gorilla Grip Premium Silicone Non Slip Oven Mitt Set of 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 9gSugar: 50gProtein: 5g
Do you have other dessert recipes I can try?
Absolutely! I love to bake and it’s one of our favorite things to do together with the kids. Here are some more of our favorite baking recipes for you to try for yourself.
- 10 Homemade Muffin Recipes
- Buterscotch Blondies
- Homemade apple muffins
- 4-ingredient Crinkle Cookies
- The Easiest Snickerdoodles